First before I get to your assignment I need to share with you my new favorite song. It’s called “Little Numbers” by BOY and I listened to it about 20 times yesterday. The Current dropped this song in my life at a perfect time in my writing life where my main character is going to cover a song about having a crush on someone. This song is a delightful, hand-clappy piece of pop perfection about crushes and phone numbers and my favorite line “And every song just makes me think of you
Because the singers sounds as if she was longing, as if she was longing, too.”

This song is just delicious and I can’t seem to get enough.

Now, as I mentioned you have an assignment you may or may not choose to accept. As I mentioned the main character in my longish fiction thing I am writing has a crush. And she wants to write a crush song but she gets all writers-blocky and decides, instead, to just cover a song she loves about having a crush. This cover is going to launch her into superstardom which is integral to the plot and the ongoing battle she has with the “blog fuckers.”

So originally I was going to have her cover “Crush on You” by The Jets, because of course. But I’ve decided the lyrics are a little too juvenile and she kind of wants the object of her affection to know and not so much like “how did you know because I never told.” This is her way of telling him.

So now I need a great, great pre-2007 song to cover. I’ve been flirting with James’ “Laid.” which I just think would be kind of hot if a woman were singing. But I’m not sure about that. So I ask you, darling ones, what’s your favorite pre-2007 song about having a crush? Bonus points if it’s kind of giddy and filled with longing though I am not opposed to melancholy and filled with longing.

Go!

1. Carrie Mesrobian (@CarrieMesrobian) 19.Mar.13 at 10:06 am

Okay, this requires real thought. I may be back with MOAR.

My initial response:

How Soon Is Now by The Smiths (boring, I know)

I’m On Fire by Bruce Springsteen

God, I love “Laid” by James. It makes me laugh so much.

1. Jodi - Site Author 19.Mar.13 at 10:07 am

I know “Laid” is awesome in its ridiculousness. I didn’t even think of I’m On Fire. I’ll have to spend some time with that song today.

2. Matthew Baiocchi 19.Mar.13 at 10:50 am

unfortunately the first one that came to mind was sarah mclachlan’s “possession,” which is a beautiful song but, given that it is a about a stalker, i fear it doesn’t quite fit what you need.

1. Jodi - Site Author 19.Mar.13 at 11:02 am

Think more!

1. Jodi - Site Author 19.Mar.13 at 11:54 am

It should be a bumper sticker, t-shirt, and maybe put on the $1 bill. It’s something we should all do.

3. tam 19.Mar.13 at 11:30 am

I’ve always been partial to “I want you to want me” by Cheap Trick. (Wasn’t it sung on Dawson’s Creek?)

I’m not sure the year and it’s pretty obscure, but I love “Inspired by no one” by Ryan Montbleau Band. Its a happy love song, and it feels to me like a crush song.

1. Jodi - Site Author 19.Mar.13 at 11:31 am

Yes, Joey sings Want You to Want Me at a bar with Charlie’s Band in like season 6.

I will go in search of Inspired by No One.

4. Hotrod 19.Mar.13 at 11:53 am

Radiohead – Creep

1. Jodi - Site Author 19.Mar.13 at 11:55 am

Uh, No. Think more.

1. Hotrod 19.Mar.13 at 1:32 pm

I’ve thought about it more and, yes – Creep is the correct answer.

1. Jodi - Site Author 19.Mar.13 at 1:34 pm

Creep is a perfectly wonderful song (and mostly the only Radiohead song I even like), but it’s missing the giddiness. Do over.

2. Hotrod 20.Mar.13 at 7:56 am

Harrumph. Fine, it’s your story. My runner-up is The Cars – Just What I Needed, but it’s not nearly as good.

5. Christa 19.Mar.13 at 12:50 pm

“Mad About You.” Boom. (There’s more where that came from).

1. Jodi - Site Author 19.Mar.13 at 1:05 pm

More! More! I had “Head Over Heels” on the playlist, but missed Mad About You.

2. Jodi - Site Author 20.Mar.13 at 8:12 am

You have no way of knowing this, but I actually had “Just What I needed” by The Cars on my potential cover song play list. See what happens when you Think More? You’re right more!

1. Hotrod 20.Mar.13 at 4:48 pm

I was right the first time; you just failed to recognize the greatness of my initial suggestion. But since you liked the Cars, here’s an even better song: Jackson Browne – Somebody’s Baby.

No need to thank me here. I’ll look for it in the Acknowledgements at the end of your book.

1. Jodi - Site Author 20.Mar.13 at 4:51 pm

Would you prefer to be acknowledged as Hotrod or your actual name? Also, I did include “Creep” as one of the songs she and her bandmates argue over when she wants to cover a crush song.

6. Christa 19.Mar.13 at 1:48 pm

“Hit Me Baby One More Time.”

1. Jodi - Site Author 19.Mar.13 at 1:53 pm

I don’t see Cora covering this, but I added it to my “mood setting” playlist. It’s one of two Britney songs I actually have.

7. todd 20.Mar.13 at 5:25 pm

I am not yet a geezer, but the Beach Boys’ “God Only Knows” comes close to the mark for me.

1. Jodi - Site Author 20.Mar.13 at 5:39 pm

I love that song and put on the gushy love song list. It’s a fine distinction but I needed separate motivation for the crush portion of the story vs the love story portion. God Only Knows totally falls into the love category as far as I’m concerned.

8. aprilfool 24.Mar.13 at 11:55 pm

The Kinks – You Really Got Me!!

9. Heidi 25.Mar.13 at 11:52 am

Crush Story by Too Much Joy.
    Too old (1991) Too obvious?