supergenius goes under the knife

i woke this morning looking more than a little like the elephant man (sans penis). i thought maybe i had a stroke or something in the night. after carefully feeling around my face, i came to discover the source of my swelling was my teeth.

so i went to the dentist and i have some neglected, undetected, impacted, refracted, and generally icky teeth that have to come out, on friday.

i am nervous, believe it or not. getting knocked out kind of scares me. what if i don’t wake up?

1. Dana 01.Oct.03 at 2:02 pm

See, as much as that sucks, I want to know what you’d have done if you HAD awakened with a penis.

2. janne 01.Oct.03 at 2:45 pm

Okay, now I’m visualizing what the Elephant Man’s penis would look like…

I’m afraid of being knocked out, too. Make sure you have someone to drive you home.

3. heather 01.Oct.03 at 2:48 pm

ooh, i love general anesthetic. it’s the only way to fly.

4. Thomas 01.Oct.03 at 2:48 pm

She would have gone to work and made 25% more, had shorter lines at the bathroom, been taken seriously at the mechanics and become the only remaining group of people it’s ok to ridicule, belittle and openly hate, provided she stayed caucasian too.

5. joey 01.Oct.03 at 3:21 pm

proper dental hygiene is imperative…i mean if.. you like a healthy smile i mean…

jodi, that’s sooo nasty girl! are you from louisiana or something?

6. dainec 01.Oct.03 at 10:56 pm

You’ll wake up. I had that fear-of-not-waking-up thing, too, and I’m still alive. My teeth weren’t even impacted.

That was, like, 20 years ago, though. When I had nasal surgery a few years back, I opted to stay awake. I guess most people get knocked out for it. The local wasn’t bad at all, especially since I got some happy drugs to keep my mind off what was happening. Quite a surreal experience.

7. NBFB 02.Oct.03 at 6:31 am

Aye, what dainec said. When you arrive, tell the dentist you’re really anxious and they’ll give you something to “calm you down” and juice you up really good.

You won’t wake up. If you’re really going under general anesthesia that will mean they’re turning off your nervous system. You can’t wake up until they turn it on again. It’s not some sort of passive, just wait until it wears off sort of thing. And yeah, you definitely want someone to drive you home.

8. Joots 02.Oct.03 at 8:48 am

Like my grandma used to say, don’t worry about it, cause you’re not gonna be there anyway. Just enjoy the nap. (No “fiddlin'” though. You’ll upset their concentration.)